During this paleo journey, I’ve learned to branch out and try new vegetables. I never ate vegetables growing up because I was always afraid to try new things. After trying cabbage a few times, I thought bacon and garlic would go wonderfully on top of it, and it sure did. We all know bacon makes things taste amazing! Don’t worry about the negatives you may hear about bacon; we Paleo people believe bacon is GREAT. Try to get antibiotic, hormone-free, pastured bacon. If you’re a local reader, I get my bacon at the Baton Rouge farmer’s market or at Whole Foods or online at Topline foods.
This Bacon and Garlic Cabbage recipe is a good side for a juicy steak, or baked chicken. If you are looking for an entree to pair with it try one of these:
If you are trying to convince someone to like cabbage, make em’ this recipe!
- 1 cabbage (or 2 tiny cabbages-hard to find)
- 3-4 pieces of nitrate free bacon, cooked
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Quarter the cabbage (into 4 pieces).
- Sprinkle cooked bacon, garlic, and olive oil on each cabbage piece.
- Wrap in aluminum foil, separately.
- Place in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- I cook my bacon in the oven on 400, on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil for 15-18 minutes (prior to cooking the cabbage).