Do you love belgian waffles but are grain free? I have the solution with this grain and gluten free waffle recipe.
Many people are forced to go grain free because of allergies, and of course many of them miss their favorite foods. For those people I provide grain-free recipes, like my Cauliflower Pizza and my Fudgy Brownies. Today I present to you Gluten Free Waffles.
Dad and I have been eating a Paleo diet for a while now, so every now and then I test out “remake” recipes like this for us. I came across this waffle recipe from 17 Recipes. I was suddenly surprised when the texture of these waffles came out exactly like real waffles! Score! The waffles are dense in healthy fats and will surely fill you up for hours. I recommend serving with a teaspoon of organic maple syrup, or honey, or nothing at all!
Your site says Paleo? Are these Paleo? Not exactly, just because every ingredient is Paleo approved, when it comes together as a treat you should handle it like a treat. That means don’t make these every morning and think you are getting the benefits of meals like eggs and veggies. These are still a great option for those who are grain-free and miss their beloved waffle breakfast.
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla if sweet
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- bacon grease or lard or coconut oil for iron
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk.
- Add almond flour and salt. Combine until smooth.
- Add melted coconut oil or butter.
- Whisk egg whites until they form moist, stiff peaks.
- Fold about ¼ of egg whites into batter. Fold batter into remaining egg whites in three parts.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well.
- Scoop 1/3 C. of batter onto a preheated and greased waffle iron. Do not smooth the top of the batter before closing the top of the iron. Close the lid gently!
- Cook until golden brown.