Are you looking for something to replace your favorite salty snack? I think I found the answer! Paleo French Fries! These fries are not your typical fries. Instead of being made with potatoes, they are made from jicama.
What’s jicama? It’s a root vegetable with few calories but many nutrients. It’s a great alternative for fries and can be cooked in many different ways. Basically it’s my new favorite veggie, and I’m excited to be adding it to my palate!
I can’t say I miss real fries. But the crispy ones were my favorite, and these Jicama Fries get crispy too! So fair warning, I haven’t had a French fry in forever, so when I call these fries, don’t be expecting the same results that come with your McDouble.
Speaking of McDouble, did you know college kids eat fast food 1-3 times per week? I was surprised hearing that number because I thought it would be even more frequent. But here’s the other problem. The majority buys junk food at the grocery, too. Precooked dinner meals, “protein” bars filled with sugar, cans of noodles, you name it they have it. I actually would argue I spend less money on food then many of my friends.
My interest is to help not hate! That’s why I wrote my eBook, the College Primal Challenge. It can be a challenge eating healthy and staying motivated, so with the eBook you get 30 days of motivational emails. Not in college? This stuff applies to you too! I’m sure you’ve encountered a food court and maybe a cafeteria too. Click here to find out more.
- 1 Jicama
- 1/2-1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel jicama with a potato skinner, or with a knife.
- Chop top and bottom off jicama, and cut into fries.
- Place fries on a cookie sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Top with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until desired crispiness!
- Jicama's starch will turn into sugar if it sits too long! Buy and cook within 2-3 days.