Welcome readers! Today I am sharing a Gluten Free Lunch Bowl. I am back, recharged, and ready to share some new recipes with you this year! Let’s start with a difficult meal. Lunch. Here’s one of my favorites, packed with spring mix, egg, avo, tomatoes, cojita, and a sriracha mayo.
Let’s take a few steps back… Part of me wants to take 10 steps back and re-explain why I even started this blog. But I’ll spare you. Let’s take 2 steps back… or 2 years back, when I started medical school.
Medical school has been one of the most fun, challenging, difficult, emotional, character-building, and rewarding times in my life. It’s taught me how to work harder than I ever could have imagined. But the harder I worked in my second year, the more I realized I had to make my health and my body a priority daily. If I didn’t I would be slower, emotional, and tired. So I ate salad every day, took my vitamins, worked out, and had two incredible study partners for support.
Some days I just had to get out of the library and eat lunch somewhere new. If you follow my Instagram you’ll realize I frequented The Daily Beet quiteeee often. So as soon as I had time again, I wanted to recreate my favorite meal there, the lunch bowls! This one is a Gluten Free Lunch Bowl. It’s super easy to make (like most of my recipes) and easy to pack! The recipe makes enough for 2 bowls. If you’re like me you’ll eat it two days in a row, or 3… or 4… It’s what you need in a lunch, something nutritious and filling!
On the topic of Paleo, my blog will be expanding to have non-Paleo recipes too! I haven’t decided on a new name for the blog yet, but you can look forward to lots of changes coming soon.
Each future recipe is going to have a gluten free option and a focus on nutrition for a certain disease process. This recipe, as well as all of my current recipes, is gluten free. This would be great for people with Celiac diseases. In the near future I hope to include recipes that may be helpful for people with acne, psoriasis, and other skin conditions.
Gluten Free Rice Bowl
- 1/4-1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 egg + 1 TB coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup spring mix
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1-2 oz. cojita cheese grated
- 1/3 cup mayo see paleo mayo recipe
- 1/4 TB sriracha
- 1/2 TB avocado oil
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- Salt and pepper
- Follow directions to cook wild rice. My rice took 40-45 minutes after boiling water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Next fry the egg in a small frying pan on med-high heat, for 2 minutes. I like to get my pan hot before I crack the egg into it. Top with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place egg on a plate.
- In a small bowl, add mayo, sriracha, avocado oil, and lemon and mix with a spoon until oil is incorporated.
- To assemble the bowl, place rice in the bottom. Top with spring mix. Top with egg, avocado, tomatoes, cojita, and sriracha mayo. ENJOY!
I personally use a Paleo Mayo recipe because it is superior to all store bought mayo!
You can substitute the fried egg with a hard boiled egg if you are packing ahead.