Here are two things I always struggle with 1- finding yummy lunch recipes 2- eating enough vegetables in one day. This Sweet Potato Bowl Recipe solves both of these problems.
This recipe is essentially just a conglomeration of 7ish really healthy power foods. I was tempted to stir it up and eat it like that but it was just too pretty! I think getting in 5-6 servings of vegetables a day can be REALLY difficult. Breakfast isn’t usually full of veggies, so it’s really up to lunch or dinner to pack in all the veggies. And let’s be real, sometimes I just want a sandwich or sushi or spring rolls or something and then I am getting maaayyyybe 1 serving of veggies. So let’s find ways to eat more greens.
My problem with salad at lunch is there’s no carbs. Actually when I was studying for my medical school boards, C would bring me lunch everyday. It was my favorite part of the day, because we would take an hour to just hang out and not study. I asked for a Kale Caesar with a piece of thick multigrain toast and Kombucha every single day. Occasionally he would forget the toast and I legit almost teared up that day. Not eating paleo has made me realize I really do love and need my carbs. Funny story though, that restaurant now serves that same salad with the toast ON it. I used to order it separately. I feel like maybe I deserve credit for that perfect combination.
- 2 small sweet potatoes or 1 large sweet potato, boiled and peeled (see notes below)
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/2 tb butter or coconut oil
- 4 soft boiled eggs (boil 8 minutes)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Organic Farmhouse cheddar cheese, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- If I’m in a rush, I cook my sweet potatoes in the microwave. Place them in a small bowl with a 1/2 inch of water and cover them with a wet paper towel. Microwave for 8-10 minutes. If not in a rush, place in boiling water until tender. About 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, add 4 inches of water and bring to a boil. Add eggs and boil for 8-12 minutes. 8 for soft boiled. 12 for hard. Immediately place into bowl of ice water to cool.
- Place butter in skillet on medium heat and add onions and spinach. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Chop or mash sweet potato and assemble bowls. It makes two.
- Make it whole 30 by cutting out the cheese.