A dish that could serve as an appetizer, a party dish, or something to put on Tacos and call it a meal! Here’s my Cheesy Mexican Dip.
Picture this, you just got invited to a get together, or maybe you decided to throw one. You don’t want to make or bring a pot of Chili because that’s too much, but you want people to have something to snack on. You know you have some Gluten Free friends there, so that narrows it down to something gluten free. You need something with flavor, not just hummus and crackers. You need something a little filling, so chips and salsa won’t work. So you find this Cheesy Mexican Dip- it’s gluten free, full of flavor, and filling because of the protein. I think we found a winner!
I like cheese. A lot. And I know it’s not Paleo, but my new tagline for my blog is “Mostly Paleo, Always Gluten Free”. Because, I like cheese. I first thought I was making a casserole recipe but then I realized it was super dip-able, and for something to be a casserole I think it should stand by itself and not make you want to pull out chips or tacos. The first time I made it, it had too much liquid. Two steps needed to be changed- drain the fat from the meat, and add more cheese! So don’t forget to drain the fat.
One week from today is Cinco de Mayo! I have plans to go to a Tequila and Tacos Dinner at my favorite restaurant Opal Basil. May 5th is the airing of the show Beat Bobby Flay, where my favorite chef Robert Vasquez is competing! I seriously can’t wait to see him on TV. This summer I worked for Robert and tried to up my cooking skills. Every time I eat there I’m so inspired to make new dishes. He’s truly an artist when it comes to food!
Now here’s the recipe. What is your favorite dish to bring to parties? Comment below.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cups + 1 cup cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large pot, cook the ground turkey on medium heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper, and stir to cook the meat evenly. Once cooked, drain the fat and place the turkey in a medium bowl.
- Add olive oil to the pot and bring to medium heat. Add red and green bell pepper, onion, and spinach. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the ground turkey, 2 cups of cheese, 2 tablespoons cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper, and bring to a low heat, stirring to combine.
- Move the dip to a casserole dish. Top with 1 cup of cheese and 1 Tablespoon cilantro. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Broil on high for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese has slightly browned.
- I personally used a block of goat cheddar cheese (from Trader Joe's) and shredded it at home.